I finally did it! I’ve been planning to change hosting companies ever since Web Hero took it upon themselves to make changes to my site without so much as an email for explanation. I understand why they did what they did and I’ve even started using one of the plugins they installed on our church’s web site. They were all security related.
However, some of them contain overlapping functionality. As stated, no information was provided to me regarding what was to be done, why, and what if anything I should do once it was done. There have been reliability problems for years and they have only gotten worse. Now I can’t tell whether changes I made or changes they forced upon me are the cause when something goes wrong. Had I been attempting to run a business with the site, I probably would have moved long ago, but this inconsiderate and arrogant action was the final straw.
If I needed any further confirmation that it is time to go, when I went to visit my site and collect some information I would need for the transfer, I found it down. To their credit, Web Hero staff did get it back for me, apparently by restoring an earlier backup of the site. A much of stuff has to be upgraded again now. Of course the possibility is that one of those upgrades was the culprit, so I’m moving carefully. I was told that I would be notified when service was restored, but I wasn’t.
I have not decided whether I want to let the new company, HostGator, try to migrate the site as it is or just start fresh. This post is going up on the old host. So, for the occasional random reader who might pass through, now you know why you might see or might have seen a disruption to the site.